Friday, January 6, 2012

It's just sour!

Ok, I've been cracking open my new bread cookbook from my sister, and in the process, I've learned a lot about more complex breads.  I have baked bread much of my life, but I never really learned about using starters such as sourdough and porridge.  For those of you who don't know, a starter is just a bit of the dough that you mix up ahead of time and let it sit to develop a deeper flavor.  For sourdoughs, you often let it sit for a week or more, to get the sour flavor that everyone loves.
So today, I'm officially starting my first sourdough.  I am attempting an Italian whole-grain bread this time.  I just mixed up some flour and milk for a milk sour starter.  I have to let it sit for 3 or 4 days, mix it down, let it sit for 2 or 3 days, mix it down, and finally let it sit for another 1 or 2 days.  Long process, but I have high hopes for the end result!  I think it will be a good exercise  in patience though!
As the process goes along, I'll try to keep you posted on the results!
Sourdough Bread...what nice texture!
As I am still in need of bread for my meals tomorrow, I need to pick another recipe that does not require quite so much time...  I'm looking at a French whole-wheat one that sounds quite lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment