Sunday, January 8, 2012

So far, so good! Plus a soup recipe!

I just want to give a quick update on my first attempt at sourdough bread from scratch!  I have never made a sourdough bread before, so I am really hoping this works!  Last Friday I mixed up the flour and milk for a milk sour starter.  It needs to sit for a total of 7 - 9 days, with a few mixings in between.  To give you an idea of what has happened in the last few days, here is a picture of the starter.  When I first mixed it, it was very runny and rather like thin pancake batter.  Now, though, it is much thicker, and you can see the bubbles pushing up to the surface.


Yesterday, I needed bread so I decided to try a Whole-Wheat Italian French bread.  That sounds like a contradiction, but it is just a bread from Italy but made in the shape and size of traditional French bread.  It turned out pretty good but not explosion-of-flavors-in-my-mouth amazing.  The reason I am sharing about it, though, is because I tried an old way of 'signing' bread.  You basically just cut out a letter or shape (I used a 'G') out of paper or cardboard and lay it on the top of the loaf right before it goes in the oven and then sift flour over the whole loaf.  Remove the letter and you will have non-floured initial on your bread!  Here's mine:


Finally I wanted to share a wonderful soup recipe!  I just made it up yesterday, because I had some leftover carrots that I was not sure what to do with.  The measurements are not super exact, as I did not measure anything.  So here goes!  It is a lovely appetizer, very healthy, and so simple. Also can be vegan if preferred! Enjoy!

Creamy Orange-Carrot Soup




2 medium - large carrots, peeled and cut into thin slices (the smaller the pieces, the faster it cooks)
1 medium orange
1 cup low-fat milk or coconut milk (coconut milk makes a slightly more exotic flavor and is vegan friendly)
1 tsp. salt or to taste
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Garlic salt to taste 
1/2 + rosemary 

1.  Boil about 2 or 2 1/2 cups water (enough to just cover carrots).  Meanwhile, use vegetable peeler to peel just the orange part off of the orange (use a bit less than the whole peel if using regular milk) and cut orange in half.  When water boils, add carrots and orange peel.
2.  Let them boil on medium heat until carrots are quite soft.
3.  Remove from heat and use a stick blender (or pour into regular blender) and blend until totally smooth.  Return to heat and add the milk.  Also squeeze in the juice from one half of the orange and stir.
4.  Add all seasonings, stir, and taste.  Add more seasonings if necessary or desired.

Servings: 2
Tastes wonderful with bread.  


I hope that you all enjoy this recipe as I am very excited about it.  It literally made me want to lick my bowl when I finished it!

1 comment:

  1. Yum!! Sounds delicious!! I have tons of carrots right now!! I think I will make this (in a large quanity) & freeze the extra portions! Thank you for creating a fabulous recipe! You inspire me!! :)

    ReplyDelete